Monday, December 24, 2012

Countdown To Christmas

            MARTIN NIEVERA sings it like it is and he is right, you really can’t stop Christmas. You can’t stop the joy, you can’t stop the season and it is definitely going on as scheduled this Tuesday, the 25th of December. It will push through despite summer weather in Manila and regardless of what the Mayan Calendar and other doomsayers declare.
               In fact, it’s way past the 21st of December which was predicted to be the end of days. If you must know, this was my dad’s end of days when he joined his Maker in 2002. But the family do not celebrate this day as we want to remember him when he was alive and so it is during his birthday – every ninth of January – that we get together, pig out on his favorite food and have a birthday cake for dessert.
            Anyway, the countdown gets louder with the tick-tock of time leading to it. It’s now just a matter of seconds, minutes and hours. And I just love the frenzy and the rush and all the colors and all that glitter and sparkle. The hues and shades are no longer just the traditional green and red but now include my favorite colors of pink and periwinkle and lilac and even bright orange.
               What I love most is the fact that loved ones have more time with each other – getting together, reuniting and reconnecting, meeting for dinners or lunch or even just coffee, and simply catching up to share the spirit of the season.

               And I love countdowns – not in terms of counting the days but more on adding up ways by which I could make them go faster towards the great event. Meaning I simply take one day at a time and let the Christmas rush runs its course.

              Just like the message of Advent, which is positive waiting and rejoicing on what is to come. This ushers in the season of Christmas, the birthday of our Lord Jesus Christ, the only Superstar. Four Candles – three in violet color, one in rose pink – are placed in a wreath and are lighted each Sunday until the 25th.
               That is why all is calm in my world despite being time-challenged at the moment because there are just so many gifts to be wrapped. I wake up basking in the morning sunshine and not rush into the day like a harassed salesclerk at SM. At the end of the day, I marvel at the moon and the stars – in all its wonderful shapes and sizes, be it waxing or waning – and not just doze off to bed like a dead-beat construction worker.
               Okay, I know my comparisons are a bit off but I want to emphasize the calmness and serenity I feel despite the general atmosphere of hurriedness. I do not let the fast-paced and commercialized tone of the season define me.
               But when did this countdown to Christmas begin?
               Surely, it was in September when the long Pinoy Christmas celebration usually starts. You are not a Filipino if you didn’t hear your first Yule song at that time. Mine was Jingle Bells Rock and I guess it is just appropriate because I intend to rock this Christmas.
               In this month, I was busy and I cannot be bothered by thoughts of ‘ber months and mornings and late afternoons getting colder. I was being full-time mom to my two daughters – Pee Ann was in town and we were going places and bonding to the max; perfect host to my visiting New York-based cousin Luis; diligent moonlighter as some friends and I had this small events planning team – giving initial advice for a wedding and mounting a rock-themed birthday party; and, of course, contributing writer to two magazines – although in this particular month, the assignments weren’t as toxic. 
               Septembers from a distant past meant sending Christmas cards to friends and relatives abroad to make sure they get there on time. Yes, I’m talking about snail mail and I actually miss receiving them even if some of the e-cards I have been receiving are cute and hip.

               I’ve kept some Christmas cards and pasted them on old journals but time and tide has destroyed majority of them. But here’s two – from friend since high school Joyce, and friend since F. Jacinto Group days Nickie.




               And so October came and I began to sort of give in to the feeling. This was about the time ABS-CBN launched its Christmas Station ID, Liwanag ng Pasko, and Ayala Avenue became awash with those lights that sparkle and glitter and dazzle, telling us they are so ready for their brand of Yuletide celebration.
               I downloaded the station ID in my iPad and I must have seen it a couple of times and yet I get teary-eyed each time. I like it that they highlighted everyday heroes – like the Red Cross volunteers, the firefighters, the Philippine Coast Guards, even the soldiers and cops …

               “It shows how each Filipino become bearers of light, as they help their countrymen get back on their feet, and how they remain resilient because kindness never runs out in this nation filled with people who are always ready and willing to help,” says Robert Labayen, ABS-CBN’s head of Creative Communications Management in a Push.com article.

              This kindness is once more displayed as typhoon Pablo destroys houses and crops and claims several lives in some parts of Mindanao. People and organizations – from volunteers and government people to ordinary citizens – are all over the place helping rebuild homes and replant trees, reaching out to those traumatized, and simply being there for those in grief.

               Happening on the first week of December and just like Sendong about the same time last year, Pablo is a great dampener for everything Christmas. But ‘tis the season to be generous and for us Filipinos, there isn’t a perfect moment or right time to be so than when our fellowmen are in crisis, Christmas season on not.

               If I may add, we’ve been here before and we will survive this.  Filipinos have a kind of strength that comes from above, from the ability to pray, to seek divine intervention. The people of Cebu were saying that they were spared by Pablo because they were protected by (Blessed) Pedro – the Pinoy saint recently canonized. Mas malakas si Pedro kay Pablo, they quipped.

               Another remarkable strength is our capacity – or is it talent? – to pick up the pieces and start anew. As Ms. Chay, MOD magazine’s former editor, would always say at the end of beating a nerve-wracking deadline, tomorrow is another day.
               We Filipinos know by heart that whatever happens today, we can always begin the following day.  We welcome beginnings and it doesn’t matter how many times they happen. I’m positive that the people hurt by Pablo will recover and start a new life and that, whatever negative emotions they are feeling right now, this is temporary and will soon pass.
            Going back to October, I likewise caught a Duty Free Philippines’ TVC, reviving the Babalik Ka Rin song with Gary Valenciano and joining him this time is son, Paolo, who is even a better singer. I also saw Kapamilya network’s Christmas trailer for all its teleserye shows and what got me was the background music – Rico Blanco singing “chestnuts roasting on a open fire …”  

              This was also the month the malls started to spruce up and I especially like those of Ayala Malls’ white angels and white Christmas trees and, my favorite, those pots and pots of poinsettias.


       
 

             I also like Santa Claus at the EDSA Shang, who is playing the flute and swaying to its music. And all those Christmas trees, not just in the malls – at SM Megamall with Mickey Mouse and Minnie Mouse hang all over it; those cuddly teddy bears at SM Masinag; the usual but always beautiful glossy balls at Robinsons Magnolia; pink poinsettias at National Bookstore Ali Mall; and everything on it in that tall one at the Araneta Center – but in churches as well – notably St. Peter Parish, where I regularly hear Mass and say my thanksgiving prayers; Sto. Nino de Paz Chapel at Greenbelt Park, my holy haven when in Makati; and Our Lady of Peace and Good Voyage in Antipolo City, which I visited with sister Pat when we were in the neighborhood recently.











               As I strolled down shiny floors of many malls, mesmerized by the fantastic décor, some of which I wished I could set up in my humble apartment, in the end, the most beautiful Christmas tree or décor could be found at home.

               I love my Angel of Peace which illuminates my veranda at night.

               And going back in time, I remember my lelong (that’s what we call our grandfather in Ilocano) cutting a small twig from one of the pine trees lining the corners of the plaza fronting our ancestral home in Sta. Catalina, Ilocos Sur, to become our Christmas tree. I lived with them until I was eight years old and I can still recall how good it smelled. And that it remains to be my most favorite Christmas tree.
               The two other favorites would be my mom’s Christmas tree with its apple-shaped lights wound around it; and my own Christmas tree on the wall which I did in our apartment way back when the girls were still in gradeschool.

               October turned to November and I began to wish I could give more than just presents from a store. Well, of course, my family and friends already have my undying love but I was thinking of those boys of Cottolengo Filipino my high school batch and I have been supporting for a couple of years now.

               In search of the right toys for them, I braved the streets of Divisoria with Evie, who was a bit anxious having me as shopping companion. Initially, she suggested that we part ways and then just meet up after doing our buying chores. I remained calm even if I was scared to be left alone in such a place where you have to squeeze yourself through people to do a decent walk. I even suggested just going home ahead of her but I dropped the idea because I didn’t know where to get a ride and she didn’t know either. But all’s well that ends well and we successfully bought the right toys and the stuff she needs. As for me, I wasn’t able to buy anything except for a Louis Vitton iron pad.
            I also had the chance to do second-hand charity work for cousin Luis for the Missionaries of Charity, the home of sick children, in Tayuman, Manila. Since he’s back in New York, I delivered the goods, including milk, to the shelter. Daughter Ghiselle, brother Abe, nephew JP and grandson Marcus joined me in this worthy errand.            
               In between doing good, I found romantic relief in the morning teleserye Be Careful With My Heart


SER CHIEF’S GREAT PROFILE. [Photo was shared in Facebook.]

                … Swooned over the surprise wedding of Zoren and Carmina, which was shown on TV. My favorite parts include the twins doing a rap, “Yo mommy, he wants to marry you tonight…” and Zoren singing Wanna Grow Old With You but forgetting the lyrics. This brought me back to the 50th golden wedding anniversary of my parents in 2002 when nephew Jet, who was only five years at that time, sang the same song so perfectly with his dad Noldy playing the guitar.



GROOM OF THE YEAR Zoren. [Photo was
also shared in  Facebook.]

               As the days ran out towards December, I joined the Christmas rush and a corresponding hectic social life.
               My gang of nine from UST High School had a Christmas party cum Monito/Monita cum Videoke at FISH in Quezon City. I had dinner and lots of catching up with friends from Team Zeus at SM Megamall – from meeting up in Starbucks to dinner in  Mang Inasal.
               Also had a quick but hearty meal with my moonlighting friends at Packo’s Grill near ABS-CBN then moved to Coffee Bean along Morato for more time together. Finally, a get-together with my former officemates from F. Jacinto Group and now permanent friends at birthday girl Milen’s swanky house-with-a-pool in Alabang.
               I just love all these get-togethers which have these things in common: great food and bubbly drinks plus endless laughter. I thank God for putting all these fun and crazy but loving people in my world.  
               And then it was time for me to WRAP and roll … My small apartment looks like a mini Package Counter with all those gifts – for family, friends, godchildren, officemates, neighbors – taking most of our space. But we are having fun and Pee Ann designed a personalized gift tag for us with our photos on it and I would say the tag truly dominates. Senator Miriam Defensor has a term for that – EPAL!
                In a few hours, it will be Christmas and by 10pm, daughter Ghiselle and I are off to attend the Christmas Eve Mass at San Isidro de Labrador in Marikina City. We will be joining my sister Pat and her family for Noche Buena.
               Tomorrow, the yearly family reunion happens at my brother Allan’s house in Imus, Cavite.
               You may have noticed it by now that I like saying I just love it because life is good, God is good, and come Christmas, it will be fun and I am just going to love it with everything and everybody on it.
               Even if I still have a few gifts to wrap before we attend Mass in a while, I would like to do a Chipmunks and say, I can hardly stand the wait, please Christmas don’t be late …
                            

No comments:

Post a Comment